Saturday, October 23, 2010

Natural Cleaning Supplies

I have been slowly replacing all of my cleaning supplies with natural alternatives.  I have already been using my own homemade all purpose cleaner for a few years now. It works great. I put it in a pray bottle.

All-Purpose Cleaner

1/2 cup white vinegar
1/4 cup washing soda or baking soda
2 teaspoons borax
1/2 gallon water
2 tablespoon tea tree oil

~White Vinegar - cuts grease, removes mildew, removes odors, some stains, cleans windows and wax build-up.

~Washing Soda -Soda is a mineral. Washing soda cuts grease, removes stains, softens water, cleans wall, tiles, sinks and tubs.

~Baking Soda - cleans, deodorizes, softens water, scours surfaces.

~Tea tree oil - kills mold, anti viral, anti bacterial, anti fungal, kills mold smell and odors.

~Magic Eraser - Makes natural cleaning easy.




Powdered Laundry Detergent

 2 cups Dr. Bronner's unscented Castile bar soap or Ivory soap or Fels Naptha soap 
1 cup washing soda
1 cup borax 
1 teaspoon essential oil
 
 (2 tbsp per load)


Grate the bar of soap. One bar of Bronner's castile soap makes about 2 cups.

Measure out washing soda and borax. Mix well with the grated soap.  Add the essential oil of your choice.  I choose grapefruit essential oil since it is a fresh and unisex scent.

I store my detergent in this jar I got from IKEA.  I found the perfect scoop from a kitchen store.  It measure 2 tablespoons.
I keep Costco bulk white vinegar and baking soda on hand for all of my cleaning jobs.

3 comments:

  1. This is something I have been wanting to do. Currently I have a large stock of Seventh Generation liquid laundry detergent. I really want to eliminate this plastic from my life. Once it's gone I will be looking for an alternative. I'm bookmarking this post for future reference.

    ♥ Rebecca Jean
    Midnight Maniac

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ah! You are my hero. I'm going to start making these cleaners!

    ReplyDelete
  3. AWE! I'm flattered. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete