Monday, February 7, 2011

Meatless Monday - Green Dal

(by gourmetsleuth.com)
Green Dal

1 bag dried split peas (16oz) Sort and clean.
1 cup onion
2-3 cloves chopped garlic
3-4 teaspoons garam masala
1 teaspoon salt
6 cups liquid (I used 4 cups gluten free vegetable broth and 2 cups water)


Saute onions and garlic with a little olive oil in a pot until tender. Add split peas, spices, salt and liquid.  Simmer for 20-30 minutes or till peas are tender. Salt and pepper to taste and serve with your bread of choice. I cooked my Green Dal in a crock-pot so I just threw all the ingredients in at once.
This Indian dish was so flavorful! I will definitely make this a regular.  I served it will our favorite Pamela's gluten-free bread.
(by phamfatale)  

Garam Masala smells kinda like Christmas to me. It's strong but not hot.  The mixture varies by region but it generally contains; peppercorns, cloves, malabar leaves, long pepper (pippali), black cumin, cumin seeds, cinnamon, black, brown and green cardamon, nutmeg, star anise, and coriander seeds. Some contain mustard seeds, turmeric and fennel.  My blend only had cumin, black pepper, cinnamon, cloves, coriander and cardamon.

0 comments:

Post a Comment