Thursday, August 12, 2010

Gluten Free Chocolate Cupcakes

The Better Homes and Gardens cookbook has to be one of the best and most versatile cookbooks out there. It covers most of the basic recipes that we Americans know and love. It even explains how to make coffee and cook rice. I know those are simple things but I would recommend this cookbook to any new bride or someone wanting a great cookbook that they can learn the basics from. The front section of the BH&G cookbook explains cooking terms, the uses for herbs in cooking and different types of store bought items you would need! Perfect for those lost in the kitchen. Every woman in my family owns a Better Home and Garden cookbook!



I decided to be bad today and make some Gluten-free Chocolate cupcakes. I used the basic, One-Bowl Chocolate Cake recipe from my BH&G cookbook. I substituted the plain flour with Bob's Red Mill Gluten-Free flour.


(I love these paper cups I found at Micheal's)
One-Bowl Chocolate Cake

1 cup all-purpose flour or Bob's Red Mill Gluten-free Flour (if using Gluten free add 1/2 teaspoon xanthan gum)
1 cup sugar
1/2 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
3/4 cup milk (I used buttermilk)
1/3 cooking oil
1 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg

Grease and flour 8x8x2 inch square baking pan or use muffin tin with paper cups.

Mix all dry ingredients together. Add milk, oil, and vanilla. Beat with electric mixer on low speed just until combined. Add egg and beat for about 2 minutes. Pour batter in pan or divide evenly into muffin tins lined with papers.

Bake in a 350 oven for 30-35 minutes for cake or 15 minutes for cupcakes or until toothpick comes out clean. Cool on wire rack for 10 minutes.



While the cupcakes cool you can start the yummy butter cream frosting which can also be found in the cookbook.

Butter Cream Frosting

3/4 cup butter, softened
9 cups sifted powdered sugar (about 2 pounds)
1/4 cup milk
2 teaspoons vanilla
I add 1/2 teaspoon sea salt. It adds a lot.

In a large mixing bowl beat butter until creamy. Gradually add in 2 cups of the powdered sugar. Slowly beat in the 1/4 cup of milk and vanilla.

Gradually beat in the remaining powdered sugar. Beat in additional milk to reach spreading consistency (about 2-3 tablespoons). This made more than I needed but it does freeze well for later use.



I piped my frosting on with a large star tip. They were so moist and they tasted "real".

Excuse the terrible quality of the pictures. They are from my iPhone. I hope to get my computer back soon so I don't have to keep blogging with my iPhone!




Posted using BlogPress from my iPhone

0 comments:

Post a Comment