Thursday, July 23, 2009

My Treasures

The showcase piece for this week's "My Treasures" is this well used cookbook that belonged to my Great-Grandma Taffer. While my Nana was sick with cancer she took time with me to pass down a few precious pieces that belonged to her. I felt so honored to be given this cookbook that belonged to her mother. It, no doubt, was a staple cookbook in my great-grandmother's home as she cooked many meals for her large family. As I look through it, searching for a recipe, I instinctively treat it as if it were made of glass. One recipe in particular that I love from this book is the spoon bread! So light and fluffy.


Spoon Bread


1 cup corn meal
2 cups sweet milk
2 egg yolks
2 egg whites whipped up
1/4 cup melted butter
2 teaspoons sugar
2 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 teaspoon salt

Bring milk to a boil and the add salt and slowly stir in corn meal. Cook to mush while stirring constantly. Cool mixture. Add egg yolks, melted butter and baking powder to cooled corn meal mixture. Fold in whipped egg whites. Bake in buttered baking dish (it takes a rather small dish) about 30 minutes on 375'. Serve hot.



0 comments:

Post a Comment