Thursday, January 27, 2011

Candied Popcorn

My Papa Hastings loves popcorn balls but for the life of me I don't know how my Great Grandmother was able to make popcorn balls without burning her hands. I tried. I really did but there was no way I was going to make the whole batch into balls before it cooled completely. So I came up with plain ole candied popcorn. My Papa Hastings liked it anyway. I added a little food coloring to make it festive.

Candied Popcorn

Makes 12
  • 12 cups popped, unsalted popcorn (1/2 cup kernels)
  • 1 1/3 cups sugar
  • 5 tablespoons light corn syrup
  • 1/4 teaspoon salt
  • 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
  • 1 or 2 drops food coloring

Directions

  1. Combine popcorn into a large greased mixing bowl, and set aside.
  2. Combine sugar, 3/4 cup water, corn syrup, salt, and vinegar in a small, heavy saucepan. Set the saucepan over high heat, and bring the mixture to a boil. Insert a candy thermometer, and cook until the mixture reaches 290 degrees, about 14 minutes. Add food coloring, stirring, until desired color is reached. Remove pan from heat.
  3. Pour the hot syrup over the reserved popcorn mixture; stir together with a wooden spoon until all the kernels have been well coated. Pour candied popcorn onto a greased sheet pan to cool. Store the popcorn balls in an airtight container up to 2 days.

I adapted the recipe from Martha Stewart's Popcorn Ball recipe.

0 comments:

Post a Comment