- 12 cups popped, unsalted popcorn (1/2 cup kernels)
- 1 1/3 cups sugar
- 5 tablespoons light corn syrup
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon white vinegar
- 1 or 2 drops food coloring
- Combine popcorn into a large greased mixing bowl, and set aside.
- Combine sugar, 3/4 cup water, corn syrup, salt, and vinegar in a small, heavy saucepan. Set the saucepan over high heat, and bring the mixture to a boil. Insert a candy thermometer, and cook until the mixture reaches 290 degrees, about 14 minutes. Add food coloring, stirring, until desired color is reached. Remove pan from heat.
- Pour the hot syrup over the reserved popcorn mixture; stir together with a wooden spoon until all the kernels have been well coated. Pour candied popcorn onto a greased sheet pan to cool. Store the popcorn balls in an airtight container up to 2 days.
I adapted the recipe from Martha Stewart's Popcorn Ball recipe.