Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Growing Lettuce and Spinach


This is my first year growing lettuce and spinach. I started some time in February. It has been so easy especially once I controlled the snails. Amelia loves picking lettuce and spinach with me. She actually loves eating the spinach while we are gathering it for our salads.


 I'm growing two different types of spinach and a heirloom leaf lettuce in this raised box. Both grew so fast. I now know that I should have planted one row and then a week or two later plant another row. It all came in at the same time.


A few days of warm weather and the butter crunch lettuce took off! I Should have harvested them when they were much smaller but they are still good. They seem to be more fragile when they are bigger and crispier when they are smaller. I planted 3 types of butter crunch lettuce. The red one is my favorite.



I've made several spinach salads. My favorite is with strawberries, toasted walnuts and goat cheese. We've used the spinach in smoothies and for juicing too.


Our new favorite thing is a salad made with the heirloom leaf lettuce and edible flowers from the garden. Violas, nasturtiums and chive flowers. I made sure Amelia always asks before she eats a flower! She picks a nasturtium flower and runs inside to ask if she can eat it. lol
 

 The heirloom leaf lettuce holds up best with a light dressing. I like to make a lemon and herb vinaigrette.

Lemon Herb Vinaigrette
Juice of 1 medium-large lemon
3 tablespoons olive oil
1/2 teaspoon honey
1 tablespoon dill or combination of dill, parsley and chives
salt and pepper to taste.

Put everything into a jelly jar. Cover and shake well.
 



0 comments:

Post a Comment