I am quite pleased with how well my crochet pillow covers came out. I started out by crocheting a large granny square as big as I wanted it then finished it off with a single crochet around, triple crochet around and then a shell stitch around.
I bought pillows and slipcovers from IKEA. I ironed the pillow case after this pictures. ;-)
I stretched out the granny square and laid it on the pillow case. I tried to leave a 1 1/2 inch boarded all the way around the granny square. I just pinned the edges down to the top part of the pillow cover. (First layer)
I took thread that matched the pillow case and sewed a running stitch all the way around the very edge of the granny square. The thread hides really well as long as you don't take too big of a stitch.
The finished product is a fun and colorful accent to your home. I like to call it Anthropologie-esque. Hehe