Monday, June 1, 2009

My Treasures

This week in, "My Treasures" I want to high light this wonderful quilt made by my Grandmother, Ola Mae. She made many quilts in her life time and I am honored to own this beautiful and intricate quilt. This pattern is called, "Cathedral Window". Some of her quilts were simple and some fancy. Some of the pieces were cut from old shirts, dresses, flour and feed sacks and some from bolts of fabric. Quilting was a way of life. A chore in itself, necessary for a family's survival. Quilting Bees were a popular way for women to enjoy each others company while helping with the quilting process.

In order to preserves my family's long tradition of quilt making, I have decided to make a quilt for my daughter. I have chosen one of my favorite patterns, "Grandmother's Flower Garden". You can find free quilt patterns here. I found these great sites that sell bundles of fabric for quilting. You can choose a bundle with the colors, design, or style of your liking. (Here are the sites, 1,2,3.) I think I will choose a more vintage style for Amelia's quilt and make it a queen size so she can use it when she is older. (Here are a few styles I want to choose from. 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8)

0 comments:

Post a Comment