Thursday, May 28, 2009

My Treasures

I wanted to start a weekly post showcasing some "treasures" that I have in my home. Whether they be vintage, antiques, heirlooms or things from my travels, I treasure them. My love for all things old and vintage started at a very early age. I was blessed to be raised in a rural, yet historic town in Virginia. Antiques and vintage items were abundant in most homes in our little town and our home was no exception. I loved studying old black and white photos that belonged to my Aunt Barbara. I would look at them daily. Photos of my great grandparent would conjure up so many questions about these "strangers" that shared my genes. Old homes.....oh the craftsmanship and character in them would make me giddy inside. As a child I would look at them with longing as we would drive by them on our country roads. I would grieve for the old homes that were falling down. They still looked beautiful to me even though they had been abandoned years ago, their history slowly slipping away with time. I'm a purist when it comes to antiques and vintage items. It's hard for me to even think about cutting up a vintage linen or quilt even though it may be stained or tattered. I need to work on that because some things I have can't be used the way they were intended for one reason or another. I need to work up the courage to re-purpose them so that at least parts of them can be enjoyed.

Below is a picture of a tea/coffee cup that belonged to my Aunt Barbara. These were given to me when I was younger and I kept them close. I fell in love with the beautiful shade of turquoise on them. There are several pieces to the collection but many are missing. I hope to complete the collection one day. I have seen many variations of this same style by the maker.

It adds a little something extra to a morning cup of coffee or an afternoon cup of tea.

.

0 comments:

Post a Comment