Wednesday, April 25, 2012

Birthday Cupcakes for Six


Today is my 28th birthday!!! 

I still feel 21 and am shocked that I'm getting closer to 30. Not that 30 is bad, it's just that I don't feel like I should be almost 30. Sometimes I still feel like a teenager and sometimes I feel like an old lady. Numbers really don't mean anything after all.

To celebrate I made a small batch of gluten free chocolate cupcakes. All of my cupcake recipes make 12 or more cupcakes and I didn't want that many hanging around the house or I would get in trouble so I came up with a recipe that made 6 cupcakes. If I'm really desperate for a cupcake one day I can divide this recipe even further and make 2 cupcakes for me and Amelia. Yum!
 

Chocolate Cupcakes for Six

9 tablespoons gluten free flour or regular wheat flour
1/8 teaspoon xanthum gum if using gluten free flour
7 tablespoons sugar (I used coconut palm sugar)
4 1/2 tablespoons cocoa powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1/4 teaspoon baking powder
1/16 teaspoon salt
8 tablespoons milk
4 tablespoons oil
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1 egg white

Whisk together dry ingredients well and set aside. Mix together wet ingredients thoroughly then add to the dry mixture. Stir till just combined. Fill 6 greased and floured muffin tins or paper lined muffin tins evenly with mixture. Bake at 325 for 10-12 minutes or until a toothpick inserted into the middle of a cupcake comes out clean. Cool cupcakes on a cooling rack.

Frosting for 6 Cupcakes

3 tablespoons butter soften
5 tablespoons cocoa powder
9 tablespoons powder sugar
2-3 teaspoons milk
pinch salt

Blend the butter with the cocoa powder well then slowly blend in powder sugar. Add a little milk at a time until the frosting is spreadable.

0 comments:

Post a Comment